When we first got to know our new DC Tom Allen, we sat down and talked about all sorts of things before we even got around to talking schemes — one of those things was #CrockpotWednesday. Part of his deal to accept the job in Bloomington was that he was “all in for Week #1”, and he’s dug into the hard earned experience he came by at Ole Miss & USF to come out swinging with Cheese Shrimp & Grits
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Quick Cooking Grits
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme or 2 Teaspoons Fresh Chopped Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Cup Light Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Ounces Light Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago Cheese. (Reserve a bit for garnish)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Hot Sauce (optional)
- 2 Pounds Raw Shrimp
- Scallions or Chives and Extra Cheese for garnish
- Combine Chicken Broth and Grits in Slow Cooker
- Add all other ingredients except Shrimp and Green Onions
- Cook on low for 3 Hours.
- Add Shrimp and 1/2 cup cream or Fat Free Half and Half if desired.
- Cook for 30 minutes to One Hour, or until shrimp are done.
- Garnish with Extra Cheese
- Garnish with Green Onions or Chives and Cheese