With the Assistant Coaches out on the road recruiting during the bye week, Coach Mark Hill and his strength staff take up the slack with the sort of crockpot that builds men out of boys.
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
* Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
* In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausage.
Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion, green pepper and celery to
skillet; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
* In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, sausage, vegetables and
seasonings. Stir in broth. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours.