Taking advantage of the bye week, Coach Littrell tweaked his #CrockpotWednesday scheme — Mrs. Littrell delivered serious production with Beer Braised Pork Roast with and a bonus crockpot of mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3 pounds pork butt roast
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters roots and skin removed
- 1 medium carrot, cut into big chunks
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 bottles (12 ounces) brown ale beer or other dark beer
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) low sodium beef broth
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine brown sugar, onion powder, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano and espresso powder in small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut pork roast into large 3-4 inch chunks and place in a large plastic bag.
- Pour dry spice mixture in the bag, seal completely and shake/massage to cover meat completely.
- Refrigerate from 4-24 hours.
- Combine onions, carrot, mushrooms, beer, beef broth and garlic in a large slow cooker. Turn to high heat.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Sear meat on each side then place in crock pot. Stir ingredients and cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When ready to serve, ladle about 3-4 cups of beer broth into a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- While broth is coming to a boil, mix cornstarch with water to make a slurry. Pour into boiling mixture, stirring until thickened into a gravy.
- Serve hot.