Looks like a whole year of marriage has finally domesticated Coach Frey — Pumpkin Chicken Chili smells like Fall is on the way, and after looking at those orange helmets on film all week makes you think a thing or two about pumpkins.
- 1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed, minced, optional
- 1 + 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or cutlets, skin and visible fat removed
- 2 cans (14 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels, if frozen, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, shredded cheddar, guacamole/avocado, green onions and/or tortilla chips, for serving
- To a 4 or 5 quart crockpot add tomatoes, chicken broth and pumpkin. Whisk until well combined; add onion, garlic, chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chipotles; combine well. Add chicken, chickpeas and corn. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 on low.
- When ready to serve remove chicken and chop into bite-size pieces or shred with two forks. Add back to pot, stir in cilantro and serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, green onions, guacamole and/or tortilla chips.