Recipe: Crockpot Carolina Barbecue Pulled Pork
Summary: A Carolina style barbecue vinegar pulled pork made in the slow cooker
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 t salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 1 (4-6 lb) pork butt or shoulder roast
- 1 T liquid smoke
- 1 c cider vinegar
- 1/3 c Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 t sugar
- ½ t dry mustard
- ½ t granulated garlic
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- Place onions in crock pot.
- Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
- Place roast in crock pot. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle about 1/3 of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture.
- Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass).
- Serve plain or as sandwiches.